Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wordful Wednesday...Nurturing Love and Friendship in a Marriage...

This week I need to write on the way we nurture our relationship. How do we do that? I know at our house, some people are shocked...we don't go OUT on dates. (Last OFFICIAL date, where you have someone watch the kids and go out was in August...soooo...) I know we are supposed to 'court' each other, but my husband works really weird hours (he's a nurse) and he's really tired after work and on his rare days off, we often have children's activities or even family outings planned. And to really admit the truth, its such a hassle to me to get a babysitter, make plans, go out, etc. etc. So sad I know, but I think when we were poor students and couldn't afford to go OUT alot, we fell into the bad habit, and it just continued.

So how do you 'court' each other, or 'nurture' your love when you don't go out?

I call them home dates. He just calls it being at home. But, I think they are just as great as an 'official' date. Really what do you usually do on a date...go out to eat, go to a show, come home...Well, we do some of the same things...
  • I've made 'special' dinners and feed the kids early, get them to bed early and I 'dress up' for our dinner date after my husband gets home from work...
  • We rent movies that we want to see, make popcorn and cuddle on the couch...
  • Sometimes its just watching tv at night together, talking about our day etc. between commercials and laughing together at sitcoms...
  • Lately we started Wii Wednesdays, where every Wednesday we play Wii together for an hour or so...nothing like a little friendly competition to build the love...
My husband is my best friend. I love spending time with him. Even doing silly little things. One of my favorite things is when we drive to a family outing, the kids can watch a movie in the back and we talk. Sometimes about things going on in our life...sometimes I ask him silly questions like "whats you favorite color", to "What would you do if...". But I think that's one of the greatest things that we do for our marriage is spending time together. He recently went to Texas for a conference for work...while he was there he got to do a little site seeing and he said "It was really neat, but a little boring by myself..."
Right now we are planning a "Second Honeymoon" next summer. A trip for just the two of us...I'm really excited about it...first time we have ever done this since we had kids...it will definitely make up for all the 'official' dates we have supposedly missed!

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

We have mostly home dates too! Have a blast on your second honeymoon. We had one two years ago and it was so nice to reconnect without any little distractions (children), although we missed them terribly.

kjha said...

It's so worth it to do anything you can!