Sunday, September 19, 2010

First Day of School, 2010

A little break from our Canadian Trip to fill you in on what's going on around here. The kids are back in school and this year we have a Second Grader and a Kindergardener! Oh, I can't believe it!
Brody was so excited to go to school this year, that when he asked about going to see Gramma and how long we would be, I told him that we would come home just a few days before school started. he said, "Well, maybe we should come home a little early, because I don't want to be late for my first day of school!" Granted, by the time we were ready to leave Canada, this was the kid who had decided he was going to stay with Gramma and go to school there, and was VERY upset when we left. I bought him a new lunch kit to win him over...yes, I bribe my kids, don't judge me!

Here they are! I asked them to give me some ATTITUDE and this is what I got...weird. I really don't like that shirt that Gracie is wearing. We let them pick 2 shirts at Old Navy and she had about 4, and when she narrowed it down, this one made the cut, even though we tried and tried to convince her otherwise. I lost.
Gracie, Second Grader!
Brody, First day of Kindergarden!
Here's Cooper man ready to send off the big kids. I was really wondering what we would do all day to entertain that kid.
Walking to school with Ryan, our neighbor. He's in Kindergarten, too. The kids think this is pretty cool to have a friend to walk to school with. and I think it helped Brody with a few first day jitters. Ryan and Gracie were sick last week, and poor Brody really had a hard time. I think he was a little lonely walking through that fence for the first time by himself!
Here he is in class the first day. He just put his stuff away, and said "Bye, Mom!" I'm so glad he doesn't cling to me anymore, but part of me was still a little sad. The second day, he had a little rougher time, and there was an awful selfish part of me that was a little happy that he still wanted me there with him...I know awful and selfish.
Here is Gracie in her class. She is very excited about Second Grade. I'm not so sure. How did she ever get so big? She does Math and Reads and tells me how to have a balanced meal. Where did that baby go?
Miss Independent told me on the second day that I didn't even need to walk them to class that day. I told her until Friday, I would walk them to class. Then she said that after Friday I didn't need to walk them across the street to the gate anymore...she would walk Brody to the gate. I told them, I thought maybe I should walk them to the gate this year for a bit, and then we'll see. Maybe later, I'll let go a little.
I doubt it.

1 comment:

Wilson Family said...

At least she tells you about a balanced meal and not a balanced mind. I'm waiting for my kids to be old enough to tell me that I'm losing my mind. Isn't it great being a parent? sheesh