Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wordful Wednesday...April Fool's!

Ahh April Fool's....what a great day. I think its great that someone came up with the idea for a whole day to be dedicated to the art of practical joking! What better medicine is there than laughter. I must admit, many days around my house would put me in the Nut House if it wasn't for laughter!

I really do enjoy a good practical joke, but I am no good at it because I can not keep a straight face. I am a terrible liar, and I usually start laughing or my face goes red and gives me a way. But I do enjoy trying. When we were little, my Dad introduced us to April Fool's Day. Almost every year, he found some way to trick us. One year he put Green food coloring in the milk. When we got up for breakfast in the morning, NONE of us would touch it! There was no way we were eating cereal with green milk. We thought it had gone moldy! Mom finally told us what Dad had done. We tried to get him back, with saran wrap on the toilet, bucket of water on the door, plastic bugs. I don't think we ever did. Sometimes he would just hide and jump out and scare us. This was easy to get him back for. There were many a times I would get up extra early before Dad went with the bus run (He drove the School bus) and hide just so I could get him good!

I have never really tried any tricks on my kids yet. I think this year I might. Maybe jello in the juice cups or something silly for dinner. My kids would appreciate that as they love to laugh. They even try things and turn around and say "I'm just joking!" I love the sound of my children's laughter! And I love how they make me laugh! Here is something from each of them:

  • Gracie when she was about 2 1/2 loved Dora. I thought it was so cute the little Spanish phrases she would pick up and how she liked to count in Spanish. One day when she was playing, she kept saying "Are you in there? Help ! Help! Are you in there!" I didn't really understand, I thought she was looking for 'someone' while she was playing. A few days later I asked her what she was doing and she said she was calling for help. 'Are you in there' was her way of saying 'ayudame' the Spanish word for 'help me'.
  • Brody's body tells him things. Most of the time it makes sense..."My knees tell me I'm tired, I can't walk anymore." or "My tummy says I'm hungry, I need a snack." But sometimes they are really great like "My head is tired, I just need to lay down and rest." or my favorite "My heart says I need to sit with you."
  • Cooper doesn't say much, he's 11 months, but I love his new 'fake' laugh he's got going right now. He 'laughs at the kids, me, my husband, the toys with a great big "HA HA! HA HA!" followed by squeals and regular laughing. The other two thinks its great, and usually encourage this! I think its hilarious.
So Happy April Fool's Day. May your day of laughter continue to filter throughout your life!

5 comments:

Montserrat said...

Kids sure do know how to be joyful, don't they? I have a daughter that loved Dora when she was three. We even bought her a Dora bowl, plate, and utensils to use. One day at church someone told her she was so adorable. My daughter got really mad and said, "I am NOT a Dora bowl!" It was so cute!

Momza said...

My kids are the funniest people I know! Probably because they have my heart too. And most of my brain cells have been donated to their cause. But, really, they're just too cute for words!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Jello in the juice cups! Love it!

Thanks for sharing your funnies!

kjha said...

That part about what his heart says is just the sweetest thing! good job for writing it down :)

Kodelle said...

Isn't it interesting that one of the things you don't have to teach kids is that something is funny. They just seem to know when and how to laugh.