MYTHS ABOUT WOMEN
Be Superwoman - Do it ALL Women Cannot be Scriptorians
Be SOMEONE - Work in a Career
To be Beautiful you must be - skinny, pretty, fashionable
Being a Homemaker is drudgery Women are not equal to men
Children are Oppressive - Limit how many you have
This is the assignment from Chocolate on My Cranium . Its a big topic. A deep topic...
I actually had to give a talk in church a couple of weeks ago about this...well not quite this topic, but about 'Fulfilling our Callings'. At first, I studied about fulfilling our church callings and how we can fulfill them, how we can best serve the Lord through our callings at church. Then as I read I read this quote:
Brethren, when we stand before the Lord to be judged, will He look upon the positions we have held in the world or even in the Church? Do you suppose that titles we have had other than “husband,” “father,” or “priesthood holder” will mean much to Him? Do you think He will care how packed our schedule was or how many important meetings we attended? Do you suppose that our success in filling our days with appointments will serve as an excuse for failure to spend time with our wife and family?
It comes from the talk 'Lift Where you Stand' by President Uchtdorf. It was actually given at a Priesthood session. But as I read it through a couple of times I thought, "You could 'liken' this to everyone, you know." You caould add "wife", "mother", or "valiant young women". So I did, and as I thought about it, I really thought about my role as a wife and mother and how important it is, not only to my family, but the Lord as well.
Not everyone has the opportunity to be a Stay at Home Mom. But I do. Its one reason we moved away, where my husband could work full time, so that I could have that chance. At first, it was tough. I had previously been working at 2 jobs. At one, I taught dance, and I was constantly under alot of stress with parents, performances, and competitions. But I was also receiving ALOT of praise. From children, parents and spectators. It really boosts that ego over and over to hear how wonderful the dance was. How beautiful your group is and so on....
Maybe I let it get to my head a little....
Because then I became a Stay at Home Mom. At first I thought it would be easy. I mean, I wasn't 'working' was I ?! I only had two little ones and a small apartment to take care of, how hard could that be? But there is no glory in sparkling toilets and making Peanut Butter sandwiches. No praise in changing diapers and scrubbing floors. At least not in the eyes of the World.
In the eyes of my children, I think I am doing a pretty good job. There are times when I wonder what exactly I am doing. Moments when I want to scream into a pillow for hours straight. And even days when I am mad at my children and hide in my room. (shhh! don't tell!) At least they say "Thank you for dinner Mom!" "Thanks for taking us there Mom!" and my favorite, "I love you Mom!"
So I have learned over the last 5 years that its ok that I'm "Just a Mom". I am doing what I need to do for my family. I am providing for my family in a way that the Lord knows only a Mother can. I am nurturing, teaching, and loving my family the best I can.
They still want to keep me around.
They haven't fired me yet.


6 comments:
Oh how incredibly true...times when there is intense joy and happiness...and times where you just want to "scream into your pillow" both accompany being a Mother! Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing!
I love when you talked about how your children see you. Our role as mothers is the most important job in the world. So many women are neglecting that job...you can tell when you watch the news as our society seems to be falling apart! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!
Thank you for sharing this post! I enjoyed it. I love the kids' "thank you" exclamations. Aren't those great?
I feel that way. And when I came home to be 'just' a stay at home mom I thought it would be easy too. I would never classify my job as easy... rewarding yes!!
thank you for sharing.
You made me laugh with "They haven't fired me yet!"
Never JUST a mom...that is a phrase I wish we could remove from all existence! Nice post!
Post a Comment