Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My kid ran away from home...

Well, not really, but I'll fill you in. I know its been a while and we've got alot to catch up on, but that will have to come another night. Its late, and I REALLY need to write this one down...

Only Cooper...
The boys decided to play 'Man Tracker'. And by boys I mean the brothers and the nephews. And by Man Tracker, I mean the Canadian TV show about glorified hide and seek, where the Man Tracker has to catch the two other guys before they get to the goal...actually pretty creative on the kids part to come up with it, to play on their bikes, I think.
Anyways, they are outside playing Man Tracker, which we think they are playing in the yard. Then, as we are gathering things up to take the Nephews home, we realize Coops isn't around. Not in the house, not in the yard and the kids have no idea where he is. I run down to the 'Bike Path' which is a little paved trail the kids ride sometimes, but no Cooper, and I start freaking out. Because even though I know we live in a small town, My mind is still running California, and all I can think of is :
"He went to the Fish Pond and fell in"
"Somebody pulled over and picked him up"
"Somebody ran him over"
All of which I know could still happen here, but less likely.
But where could he have gone, it had only been about 10 minutes.
So I start crying, and Dustin is on the bike ready to patrol the neighborhood
when they get a phone call from a neighbor down the street...
They have Cooper.
I am still so scared and relieved and feeling so overwhelmed at this point that I am actually hyperventilating. I actually don't know if I want to kill the kid or not, but when Dust brings him into the yard I just go and pick him up and squeeze him tight and Thank my Heavenly Father that he is all right. I think Coops thought I was a little weird for crying, he seemed fine.
But he did give his Mommy a big hug too.
I guess he figured I needed it.

So, from his side of the story and what we figured happened:

The boys took off on the bikes down the sidewalk, which they are allowed to do. They ride down to the Post Office and through the alley back home. Well, Coops started out on his scooter and just couldn't keep up, so he abandoned it at the edge of the yard and took off on foot. But apparently he missed the part about turning. So he got to Main Street and we asked him if he pushed the button (for the pedestrian sign). He said no. "I see the car. And I told it to wait. Den I run Weely Weely Fasth. Den I told it to go." He kept going and that's where the neighbors found him. They asked him his name and he said "Cooper." They knew he didn't belong there, but weren't sure where to look first. He told them he lived at "Gramma and Grampas" but they couldn't get another name out. Then another neighbor asked if he had another name and he said "Cooper Godintin." And so they knew just where to phone.
Thank goodness for small towns and everybody knowing everybody!!

So my first child to run away from home, and it scared me to death! Even if I shouldn't have been that worried, I guess. And I never thought I would be. Sometimes you wonder how you will react when things like that happen. I guess I pictured myself being strong and sure and in control, ready to fix the situation. Apparently, I just lose complete control, can't think straight and pretty much freak out...
I guess I love the little monster more than I thought!
Though, if he threatens at 10 or 11, I probably won't want him to come back so readily!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

So glad that Cooper was found alright. How scary! He sure handled himself well. What a great kid.

Jessica said...

Man, that kid of yours is crazy!!! Glad you can actually share these moments with us. While reading this, I alternated laughing and crying. Lol

Jeri said...

This is so funny! Oh what a kid!