So, I gave myself the challenge of blogging more. It is my 'Journal' in a way and with making the blog books, I'm hoping this keeps as a great record of our family for my kids to enjoy in the future. That being said, I hope I can add a few tid bits of advice I am learning on MY adventure of being a wife and mother. So, I am starting 'Thrifty Thursdays' with my tips on how I save a little money for my family by being a SAHM (Stay at Home Mom).
This first post is about Homemade cleaners. I am fairly OCD about my house, but not crazy. I actually don't like to clean, but its a necessary job. Since I have been a wife for 12 years, I have done ALOT of cleaning. I've learned a few things:
1. ALL cleaning takes work. Elbow Grease is usually the best cleaning method!!
2. I found that I HATED commercial cleaners because they never seemed to rinse properly off surfaces, and the smell nearly did me in.
3. Many things in your kitchen work just as good and don't smell near as bad.
I am not an ORGANIC person, nor am I one to worry obsessively about what chemicals are in my home. But when I figured out that these Kitchen type ingredients worked just as well, and were WAY cheaper, I haven't looked back!
My first experience with 'Natural' cleaners was actually Bubble Bath from Avon. My Mom used in to wash walls. It smelled great, cleaned well and made the walls nice and shiny! Now this isn't a 'Natural' cleaner by any means, but much more gentle than others. And so I tried it on a few other things. I found it to be great on the tub to get rid of the 'ring' on soap scum. And when my kids started wanting to help around the house. I didn't hesitate fo them to stick their hands in the bucket and wash things.
Next it was Vinegar. My mom always said vinegar water and newspapers made the best window cleaner. I tried it, and then on my mirrors. I then did a little research online and found that vinegar has been used as a natural cleaner for years!! So I started using it as my All-Purpose cleaner. Just a large spray bottle 1/3 full of vinegar and the rest with water. Now, my daughter doesn't care for the smell, but it dissipates quickly once its dried. And it works on everything and leaves every surface nice and shiny. I did try this thing I seen on Pinterest, where you take Orange Peels and let them sit in Vinegar for a few days, then use that vinegar with the water for the cleaner. It does have a better smell and it cleaned well, but you can't use in on windows or mirrors, because it has just a touch of orange oil from the peel so it leaves a residue behind that you see on glass surfaces.
With my research I found lots of other ideas to help around the house.
Baking Soda works great on stains, and as a scrub. I use it on the tub or shower when they are super scummy. It does leave a film if you are not careful, so you need to rinse well!
Vinegar - windows, mirrors, floors, surfaces. And my kids like spraying the baking soda and watching it fizz! I haven't tried it, but its supposed to work as a fabric softener as well.
Borax - is a natural deodorizer. I don't use it often, because they don't recommend it on the skin for too long, but sometimes in the laundry it helps.
Bleach - is a chemical, but it is natural. You can't use too much, but I like it for after a sickness has passed through the house. A splash of bleach in a bucket of hot water helps ease my mind of the germiness!
Rubbing Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide - Again, a natural chemical. A little Rubbing Alcohol in the vinegar cleaner really makes things shine and disinfects. Hydrogen Peroxide is a great stain remover when mixed with Baking Soda, and it also disinfects.
The Natural Chemicals are not great in large amounts, but, when used in cleaning, small amounts are ok. At least I can pronounce the ingredients!!
So this is how I clean my house. I have had a few looks from some people when I talk about it. I'm sure they think my house is not 'CLEAN' because I don't use Mr. Clean or Pinesol or whatever else is out there to clean the house. And its not for everyone. You have to take the time to mix it up. And sometimes its a little extra elbow grease for some things. But they work. And I don't worry about what my kids are getting there hands into when they are helping around the house. Or what little hands might get into if they find the cleaning cupboard!
Next time, I'll tell you how I went Homemade with Laundry and Dishwasher detergent! I honestly don't know if I will ever by Detergent again!!


No comments:
Post a Comment