Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wrodful Wednesdays....Favorite Childhood Book...

Honestly how do you pick just one?!

I have always loved to read. And I will pretty much read anything once...if I really like it...multiple times. I actually REALLY like re-reading a book over and over. My husband thinks its crazy because I've read it so many times...'Don't you know it by now?'...but I like picking up a book with my favorite characters and they are there having the same adventures as last time, and I can completely lose myself in the book and escape for a few minutes from the world.

I think one of my biggest reasons for loving books came from a Grade School teacher. She used to read aloud to us everyday from a chapter book. When you are 6 years old and picture books are the only thing you know how to devour, listening to a BIG book was exciting. The first I can remember was EB Whites, Trumpeter of the Swan. She would actually photocopy the pictures from the book and make a little coloring book for each student to color while she read. I was from a very small community and she taught me alot up through Junior High. She introduced me and helped me fall in love with so many books, starting with Trumpeter Swan to Charlottes Web and Stuart Little, to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Hobbit.

I think this is the reason I LOVE fantasy books. Books with plots that are just not possible in real life. Gigantic Peaches, Elves and Wizards, Talking Animals...its so easy to loose yourself in something that just doesn't seem possible!

I have dabbled in Nancy Drew Mysteries, went through a stint of Science Fiction, tried Romance, but I always come back to the Impossible. The Fantastic. The Just-Believable-Enough-to Think-Maybe...

I can't pick just one favorite. Its too hard. Like asking myself what is my favorite ice cream. I mean I love me some chocolate, but if there is Chocolate Mint? Oh, or Rocky Road...or maybe Peanut Butter Cup...or even Tiger...how can you choose just one?! It really depends on the mood you are in when you go to the book shelf to choose your next adventure...

6 comments:

Judi said...

You are right - I think we all just have a lot of favorite things!

JRoberts said...

I agree, it is hard to pick just one as we are all different ages as we love books. I have different favorites from every age and stage of my life.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I totally agree!

Jeanette said...

It is impossible to pick just one favorite.
I've never been a real big fantasy reader. There are some that I enjoy but overall I am more of a realistic fiction reader.

Montserrat said...

Hard to narrow it down, right? I enjoyed reading your recollections about your teacher reading aloud to the class. Children really love that!

Cellista said...

I just handed my oldest The Hobbit. I can't wait to see how he likes it!