
So I am getting all ready for Christmas this year, and unfortunately we have to spend it without our extended family, but our little family is going to have so much fun together! Gracie and Brody are so excited, Gracie keeps asking if tomorrow is going to be Christmas Eve. "I just wish it would be Christmas today!" she says. Too Cute!
I love this season, but I do dislike the hassel of the crowds at the stores. Every year I tell myself I will get ready before December so i don't have to fight the crowd, but it never happens! I try, but ya...I at least know what I have to go get, so that's half the battle right there!
I try and instill in my kids that this is a special an magical time of year. Not only is it when Santa comes and spreads Christmas cheer, but we also remind them that it is Jesus' Birthday and its very important to remember this and give unto others. The best way I could think of, which we have done every year since we moved down here, is Toys for Tots. Every year, instead of presents for each other, the kids pick out a present that they would like, and they donate it to charity. We talk about it beforehand, about how some kids don't get many presents for Christmas and how this is a way for them to give unto those who don't have as much as we do. They never miss these presents because they always get spoiled by all the family...probably too much sometimes! We go to the store and only buy those toys at that time so that the kids can really realize that they are helping out someone. I hope we can always keep this tradition. We always gave to the food bank and Toys for Tots when I was younger, but I wanted my kids to feel that they were really "Giving" the present because they picked it out, just like you would for a friend!
We also have a "Little People" Nativity set that the kids can play with. We do the Nativity with it at Family Home Evening and then I get to see them recreate it themselves. Its kind of fun to watch their own little renditions sometimes!
I'm trying to keep the Christmas Cheer in my heart as I go out and fight the traffic of the Holidays...wish me luck! As a wise Young Women's Leader once told me..."It's only as fun as you make it. If you want to enjoy it, you will." And I plan on having a blast with my kids this year!
I love this season, but I do dislike the hassel of the crowds at the stores. Every year I tell myself I will get ready before December so i don't have to fight the crowd, but it never happens! I try, but ya...I at least know what I have to go get, so that's half the battle right there!
I try and instill in my kids that this is a special an magical time of year. Not only is it when Santa comes and spreads Christmas cheer, but we also remind them that it is Jesus' Birthday and its very important to remember this and give unto others. The best way I could think of, which we have done every year since we moved down here, is Toys for Tots. Every year, instead of presents for each other, the kids pick out a present that they would like, and they donate it to charity. We talk about it beforehand, about how some kids don't get many presents for Christmas and how this is a way for them to give unto those who don't have as much as we do. They never miss these presents because they always get spoiled by all the family...probably too much sometimes! We go to the store and only buy those toys at that time so that the kids can really realize that they are helping out someone. I hope we can always keep this tradition. We always gave to the food bank and Toys for Tots when I was younger, but I wanted my kids to feel that they were really "Giving" the present because they picked it out, just like you would for a friend!
We also have a "Little People" Nativity set that the kids can play with. We do the Nativity with it at Family Home Evening and then I get to see them recreate it themselves. Its kind of fun to watch their own little renditions sometimes!I'm trying to keep the Christmas Cheer in my heart as I go out and fight the traffic of the Holidays...wish me luck! As a wise Young Women's Leader once told me..."It's only as fun as you make it. If you want to enjoy it, you will." And I plan on having a blast with my kids this year!

1 comment:
I wish it was Christmas today too :) She is so cute.
Well, at least you don't have to deal with snow and minus thirty degree weather as you shop! Lucky you :)
Post a Comment