Monday, December 21, 2009

I'm gonna rant a little...

Just a question that I don't understand. Why exactly is Christmas offensive? Its a holiday, right? A holiday that I celebrate because I believe in Jesus Christ and the fact that He came to Earth to save mankind from Sin. I celebrate the love that my Heavenly father has for me. So what is it exactly that people find offensive? I don't find it offensive at all that others may celebrate Hanukka, or Kwanzaa or even not celebrate it all. That's the beauty of living in a free country. You can do that. So why can't I celebrate Christmas without offending people?

I don't understand why it has to be hush hush in the schools. Its the Winter break, not Christmas break. I was so glad to see my child working on Christmas related items this year. She did last year as well, but I was worried. I mean how do you tell a kid that we Celebrate Christmas, but its not ok to celebrate Christmas at school? Personally I wouldn't even mind if they learned a bit about other celebrations at this time of year. I mean they have to learn to live with all different people someday. Might as well learn a little when they are young so they understand a little why Johnny is different, and that different is ok.

Political Correctness offends me. When I say something is stupid or retarded, I am not referring to people with Mental Handicaps or Disabilities. If I tell you you are shorter than me, am I offending you because you're vertically challenged? Heavens, someone of color might even refer to me as pigmently challenged! Actually anyone might think that. If I say black, indian, white, hispanic....I don't mean to offend someone. I am just trying to describe someone or something. That way when my daughter asks why little Susie has different skin than ours I can say "Because Heavenly Father made us all different. He made some people with White skin, brown skin, black skin. Just like he made you with blue eyes and your brother with brown eyes. We are all different, but we are all children of Heavenly Father."

I am so grateful that we have so many friends and family that believe in God and Christmas...even if we aren't the same religion. I am grateful that there are others who share my faith in my Heavenly Father and His love for myself and all others that we celebrate. I am grateful that we are not totally alone in a sea of Political Correctness, trying to tell my children that its ok to be different and not everyone is trying to offend you just because they point out that you are different.

1 comment:

The Hanson Family said...

Love it! I completely agree!